We live in a world where society has conditioned us to think that there is only one way for our bodies to look. But have you ever thought that what we are constantly being told by the media – or even our family – is wrong? There is no such thing as a perfect body and there is not just one way for our bodies to look. Try body positive journal prompts to help you better connect with these truths. Learn to love yourself and embrace your body so that you can live a healthier and happier life.
Disclaimer: This post was written and reviewed by Chrissy Carroll, MPH, RD. It is not a substitute for medical advice. Please contact your doctor for any concerns regarding mental or physical health.
What does it mean to be body positive?
A person who is body positive understands that there are many different shapes, sizes and colors of bodies in the world. They understand (or are working towards understanding!) that all bodies are worthy of love and respect. They don’t feel the need to look a certain way in order for them to be happy with themselves.
Wouldn’t it be amazing if we could all embrace this mindset? It may sound challenging at first, but these body positive journal prompts (as well as our body positive affirmations) may help.
Journaling is a great way of taking time out for yourself and reflecting on your thoughts, feelings, and experiences. It can be used as a form of meditation or simply to relieve stress. In fact, according to the University of Rochester Medical Center, journaling can help manage anxiety and cope with depression.
When we write about our own personal experiences in life, we often start feeling better because it allows us to express what’s inside without inhibition. It also helps us uncover limiting beliefs, and start to change them.
20 Body Positive Journal Prompts
- How do I define beauty and what does it mean for me?
- Who has inspired me when it comes to loving myself?
- Who are three women that I am inspired by? What do I admire about them? This exercise may help you realize that those you admire have nothing to do with looking a certain way – but rather that they are ambitious, strong, successful, lift you up, etc.
- When have I not loved myself in the past? Why was that? How did it make me feel? Why am I choosing something different now?
- What have I denied myself because I felt I haven’t had the “perfect” body? Think about activities you may not have done, an outfit you may not have purchased, a date you may not have gone on…anything that you told yourself you couldn’t do because of your body.
- Write down three ways my life would change if I started accepting all aspects of who I am without judgment or shame.
- What is one thing about this journey towards self-love that’s easier expected? What are some things that have been more challenging?
- How can I use what I’ve learned so far when it comes to finding ways of loving myself in the future?
- What are three daily habits that support my self-love journey and how do I feel when doing them?
- What are ten things I love about my body today?
- What changes can I make today to my daily routine that will improve my journey to body positivity? For many women, ditching the scale may be one option – but certainly not the only option. It could be purchasing clothes that fit right, or standing up to your mother who always seems to make comments about your weight.
- How does my body make me feel right now? Write about what emotions come up when you ask yourself this question.
- When is a time that I’ve felt strong in my body? Consider writing what you were doing, how old you were, and what emotions you remember from that experience.
- What is one thing I can do today to better appreciate my body?
- How does social media impact the way I feel about my body? Consider scrolling through Instagram for a few minutes, and then answering this prompt directly after. If social media impacts you in a negative way, what can you do about that?
- Why is it important for all women – including myself – to learn how to love ourselves?
- What are the benefits that I think I will get out of changing my body? Now – how can I achieve these same results without making changes to my physical appearance? This can be a tough one to work though, but maybe you’ve always felt like you wanted to lose weight so that you could finally run a 5K race. But instead of focusing on the weight as the primary goal, you could start a gradual training program with walking that builds to running – without needing to see a certain number on the scale.
- Where do I feel stuck and what do I need to let go of in order to grow?
- How can I practice self-love when it comes to food choices and physical activity in a way that supports my body-positive lifestyle? Healthy habits can still be an important part of your life, but the key is not to focus on them for appearance’s sake. Think of the other ways they will benefit you – more energy, reduced anxiety, feeling satisfied at meals, etc. Consider choosing one habit at a time to focus on. Where could this start in your life; what would need to happen first?
- Pretend your best friend is struggling with her body image, and write a letter to her. What would you say to her? How would you encourage her to love herself? You may be surprised to find some unexpected insight inside yourself.
These journal prompts may seem overwhelming at once, but they’re meant to be done over time. Choose one to start with today and see how you feel. There’s no specific order you must follow, and no specific amount you must write. Do what feels good for yourself.
It may not be easy to answer some of these questions, but they’re worth trying. As you write, you may notice that feelings of guilt and shame will start to fade away – leading way for more self-love.
Congratulations on taking this first step towards embracing your true beauty! You rock.
Share: Did any of these prompts help you? Which was your favorite?
Feel free to pin this post to share with others!
- Mini Strawberry Watermelon Rind Pies - July 14, 2022
- What causes muscle cramps during running? (And how to prevent them!) - July 12, 2022
- 7 Best Protein Powders for Runners (and How to Tell if You Need One) - July 11, 2022