These delicious peanut butter banana oat balls are the perfect healthy snack recipe for active folks! With just 5 ingredients, these energy balls are both inexpensive and easy to make. These make a perfect mid-day snack at home, or a little fuel while you’re out on a family hike!
How to make peanut butter banana oat balls
Ready to make this recipe? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Banana (a ripe one!)
- Peanut butter
- Quick oats
- Vanilla protein powder
Now for how easy this is – all you need to do is throw the ingredients in a bowl, stir ‘em up, and shape them into balls.
That’s it! Enjoy one now, and store the rest in the fridge to snack on throughout the week. They’ll last for around 4 to 5 days in the fridge.
What type of protein powder should you use for this recipe?
If you can tolerate dairy, I’m a fan of whey protein thanks to its optimal amino acid content. In this recipe, I used vanilla whey protein isolate that I had on hand from NOW Foods (disclosure – they’re one of my clients).
If you can’t eat dairy or if you prefer a plant-based protein, there are a lot of options on the market that can work for you. Generally, a plant protein complex (i.e. a blend of several types of plants) is going to have a better overall nutrition profile compared to a singular plant-based protein.
But honestly, I’m just a big believer in using whatever you like best for this recipe! This isn’t really meant to be functional for sports nutrition as much as it is just meant to be a delicious healthy snack recipe.
Why I love this recipe for active women
The ingredients in these peanut butter oat energy balls have got some key nutrition properties that are good for active women:
- Oats – healthy carbs and fiber
- Banana – healthy carbs and potassium
- Peanut butter – satiating healthy fats and some protein
- Protein powder – (obvious one here, haha) protein!
Of course, there’s a little added sugar in here from the honey too – but it’s not much in the whole recipe and that honey helps everything stick together. I don’t worry about the little added sugar spread between the 15 energy balls.
More energy ball recipes
Looking for more energy balls and bites to add to your snack routine? In addition to these banana energy bites, try one of these other delicious options found here on the blog:
- Lemon energy balls– Ahhh, I love a good pop of bright citrus flavor! These are made with just a few simple ingredients and are great for a fruity pick-me-up.
- Apple peanut butter energy balls– Banana and peanut butter is a classic combo, but apple and peanut butter is also delicious. Try it in this energy bite recipe.
- Pumpkin energy balls – If you’re reading this post in the fall, don’t hesitate to try this wonderful seasonal recipe, full of pumpkin spice flavor.
- Chocolate cherry energy balls– Whenever fresh cherries go on sale, this is definitely a go-to on my list. The combo of sweet cherries and rich dark chocolate is just amazing.
- Hungarian cookie energy balls– My great grandmother used to make these amazing Hungarian cookies that had a walnut raisin filling. I took those key elements and turned it into a healthy energy ball recipe!
Peanut Butter Banana Oat Balls
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- Combine the mashed banana, peanut butter honey, oats, and protein powder in a bowl. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. Scoop out a little of the mixture and roll into a ball. Repeat with the rest of the mixture, forming 15 energy balls. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Share: What’s your favorite kind of energy bite? If you tried these peanut butter banana oat balls, what did you think?
- 11 Body Positive Affirmations to Make You Feel Great! - October 19, 2020
- 8 Week Half Marathon Training Plan - October 16, 2020
- Peanut Butter Banana Granola (No Added Sugar and No Oil!) - October 15, 2020